Everyone has their own idea about the best way to spend a beautiful Spring day in Northeast Georgia and, this past weekend, we almost had too many options. But we decided to set up shop at the Lavonia Spring Festival. It is a one day festival that attracts around 2000 people each year, along with the requisite balloon toys, kiddie rides, original art and, just in case you haven’t had the pleasure of falling in love with Lavonia’s restaurants, more food!
But without further ado, my personal top five list of the best things about this years Spring Festival:
- New friends. We met some people who can use some help finding low cost spay/neuter options for their dogs. We met a couple of people who are breed specific rescuers. We had a new volunteer working with us and she is just as crazy about animals as we are.
- Funnel cake. Is there anything else that can be said? Once a year I get my fix..shared it with four people in our booth. You just can’t eat a whole one.
- Puppy dogs. Of every kind, of every age. Getting and giving kisses. Looking at us like we were out of our minds.
- Old friends. We ran into a few people we had been able to help before. Jeff Roberts (Director of Toccoa-Stephens County Humane Shelter) popped in to say hi. A doggie parent came by to get more of our famous Peanut Butter Doggie Cookies.
- Making a Difference. We decided we were very happy to trade a beautiful spring Saturday, doing what we can do, to make a small difference in the lives of companion animals.
Plus, you get to wear great t-shirts!